Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Im Westen nichts Neues

Dear Mum and Dad,

I am officially somewhere else, where I am not at liberty to say. In fact, the whole of this land is TOP SECRET; no one is allowed to know where it is. Even the people here have been told to forget that they’re here. Unfortunately, the bloody Germans do know where this is, and they aren’t letting us have it. Anyway, I came here by certain ship, landed by certain transport, at certain time, certain place, all this I’m dead certain. We are allowed to mention the sky, so I’ll say that we have one, and that’s it right overhead, with enough space to stand up. In spite of this luxury, I’m writing this in a hole in the ground. Very convenient; if you get killed they just fill it in and stand in a chunk of rock there. That’s all the cheery news for now, will write again when the situation is less fraught.

Your loving son,
Terry

Extract from Spike Milligan.

No comments: